Minor work project

When we want to make alterations or carry out work on our home or business premises, we often ask ourselves whether or not these alterations require planning permission before they can be carried out.


Let's answer this question once and for all: yes, you always need the relevant licence or permit, regardless of the size of the alteration. However, it is important to distinguish between major and minor building permits. To make this distinction, you need to refer to local building regulations, which generally vary according to the municipality.

Despite the differences that may exist, major works are generally understood to mean all projects that require a high degree of construction complexity, such as adding a storey to your house, extending the floor area, any work that alters the structural ensemble, etc.

On the other hand, when we talk about minor works, we mean those that are characterised by their simplicity, both economically and formally (for example, painting common elements such as the entrance or staircase, changing tiles, repairing the façade, etc.).


To apply for authorisation for minor works, you should read the requirements set out on the website of the local authority where the work is to be carried out. In general, the following documents are required

  • Photocopy of the D.N.I. (N.I.E.)
  • Title deeds to the building
  • Land registry reference (or IBI receipt)
  • Technical report signed by a competent technician
  • Budget
  • Proof of payment of taxes, both the urban development tax and the tax on constructions, installations and works (the amounts to be paid depend on the municipality concerned).
  • Declaration by the person responsible for the minor works

Once the necessary documents have been provided and the local council has granted the relevant licence, the work can begin. It is important not to apply for the licence too far in advance, as this type of licence expires quickly unless an extension or postponement is requested. Its duration depends on the difficulty of the work to be carried out.


It's always a good idea to call in a company (like Arcostec) that will take care of not only the renovation, but also the paperwork. This will save you a lot of trouble and headaches.

Under current legislation, a renovation contract is a legal agreement between two parties on the details and cost of the work:

  • the specifications (technical project)
  • the final budget
  • the method of payment
  • the start and finish dates for the work
  • a penalty clause in the event of non-compliance by both parties.


The Arcostec Group's specialists will be happy to answer your questions about the world of town planning, processing and obtaining municipal building permits, architectural projects and general advice. Free initial consultation, call in the professionals!

qr barcode telegram
or follow the link
qr barcode whatsapp
or follow the link