Value added tax for reconstruction or renovation in Spain. So what kind of VAT is paid in these cases, 10 or is it still 21%? Is there a legislative amendment for a reduced tariff? What type of real estate does it apply to and what is needed to apply for a reduced tariff? Arcostec specialists answer these frequently asked questions. are answered in this publication.


Yes, there is such an amendment to the law and you can “save” . Officially, this is regulated by Royal Decree 20/2012 of July 13th (El Real Decreto-ley 20/2012 de 13 de julio), adopted in 2012 and entered into force on September 1st of the same year.


This amendment to the law applies only to residential buildings or houses for personal use or for HOAs, we separately emphasize that NOT to commercial activities with the appropriate municipal license, such as "Albergue", "Ostali", "Hotels" and others.



The type of reconstruction or repair work, in order to take advantage of the opportunity to reduce VAT to 10%, must be as follows:

  • Strengthening or enlarging the supporting frame
  • Significant restoration or elimination of damage to load-bearing elements
  • Facade restoration
  • Roof, roofing or terrace repair
  • Large interior work (there is a minimum budget for work

DOES NOT APPLY to: minor internal redevelopment work, replacement of utilities, aesthetic repairs in general, landscaping, swimming pools or sports facilities


In order to apply for reduced VAT, i.e. 10% instead of 21%, the following requirements must be met:

  • Provide an architectural design for "Major construction work" or "Obra Mayor". At the same time, the specified design cost of work to strengthen vital load-bearing elements must exceed 50% of the total estimate
  • Have sufficient evidence to confirm the true nature of the work being designed, such as technical reports, examinations or official instructions from professional boards on "accidents" real estate
  • The official total cost of construction work must exceed by at least 25% the cost of the property (if we are talking about a purchase two years ago) or the cadastral value of the property in its current condition before repairs and subtracting the cost of the site.


Read the law on the official tax website in Spain: follow the link

Tax for reconstruction or repair in Spain. 

We are engaged in the implementation of architectural and engineering projects; we are specialists in construction, architectural design, interior and exterior design, design and installation of utility networks and installations, technical expertise, measurements, as well as certificates of technical conformity. We are located in the center of Torrevieja, opposite the city hall and urban planning. We work in Torrevieja, on the coast of Orihuela as well as in Guardamar, Alicante, Benidorm, Finestrat, Calpe and Denia

Execution of construction estimates with a detailed breakdown of all stages and costs, audit of already launched construction projects and professional supervision in order to meet the interests of the customer in Spain. Contact the professionals!

Other articles

How much does it cost to build a home in Spain and what associated costs should be taken into account?
This page is in the writing phase. Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working to improve services for you... ...
16 June 2024 | Документация
What you need for an installer certificate and power upgrade
Step-by-step procedure for obtaining an electrical installation bulletin and increase power The only requirement for obtaining the electrical bulletin is to be the owner of a property that is going to be inspected. So if you have the address, contac...
16 February 2024 | Документация
Legal aspects of starting a new business in Spain
We continue the monthly section “Specialist Consultation” from the company “Arkostek” with answers to the most interesting questions. This time we will look at the general scheme for registering an enterprise in Spain. Any interested person can inves...
14 March 2024 | Документация
qr barcode telegram
or follow the link
qr barcode whatsapp
or follow the link