Construction of a swimming pool without a construction license — This is a common case that happens quite often when, due to ignorance or due to unreliable information from the pool construction contractor, we do not submit an application to the city hall for a construction license in advance.

How to legalize a swimming pool

If your pool does not have a license, it can almost always be legalized. It is usually necessary to submit a technical design drawn up by a competent technician, architect, technical architect or engineer, and a certificate of completion certified by a professional association.

These documents will reflect the construction characteristics of the pool, such as its volume, surface area, maximum and minimum depth, construction method and materials, plumbing and electrical installations. The characteristics of installed equipment such as pumps, sand filters, chlorinators, etc. will also be reflected.

One of the most important aspects to determine is whether a swimming pool is a major construction job or a minor one. Each city council sets criteria for determining the size of construction work depending on the size and volume of the pool.

  • License for minor construction works: You must submit a drawing of the site on which the pool will be located without land surveying and indicate the exact location where the pool will be located. It is also necessary to provide an estimate of the costs of the work. After submitting the documentation, the mayor's office will indicate the cost of the license, which is usually 4% of the final budget.

  • Major Works License: If the pool being built is considered a major works project, a design drawn up by a technical architect must be submitted. The amount to be paid is 6% of the final budget.

In the case of swimming pools in residences, additional requirements must be met, such as the presence of perimeter fences and showers. If the pool has already been built before these technical documents are submitted, the owner may have to bear the cost of the necessary modifications to bring the pool into compliance with current regulations.

Of course it is better that the pool is legal, especially since in some cases it is often an element that causes problems with neighbors or other nearby areas, if we do not have the appropriate license, you can receive staff from the mayor's office.


Initially, when building a swimming pool, it is important that you comply with municipal, autonomous and state regulations. Royal Decree 74/2013, adopted in September, regulates the state regulations governing the technical and sanitary conditions of swimming pools of category 3A (rural houses, communities, colleges) and category 3B (private swimming pools for a single family).

Among the main conditions that a private swimming pool must meet are the following:

  • Compliance with the Technical Building Code regulated by Royal Decree 314/2006 of 17 March and, in the case of heated swimming pools, also with the Regulation on Thermal Installations in Buildings regulated by Royal Decree 1027/2007 of July 20.
  • Control of safety and sanitation.
  • Approval of chemical products for water purification.
  • Monitoring the quality of water, air and maintenance systems.

Legalization of bassin

  • Contact a technical specialist (architect, technical engineer) to prepare a project budget and timeline.
  • Hire the services of a company to implement a project to legalize a private swimming pool that was built without a building permit.
  • Submit all necessary documentation to the mayor's office.
  • Pay municipal taxes and fees.

Small pools with simple installations usually require an architect. Larger or more complex installations, such as purification systems or water conditioning, may require an engineer's design.

The procedure is usually carried out in the town planning department of the relevant city council. The specialist you contact for the project will be able to indicate all additional documentation that will need to be submitted.


Contact the Arcostec team to get all the information you need. We will contact you as soon as possible. We are committed to providing our clients with professional and personalized advice.

Other articles

Non-resident property tax in Spain, what is it and what is the right way to do it?
Every owner of real estate in Spain who is not a fiscal resident is annually required to pay non-resident tax, which, unlike IBI, is calculated and paid independently. We emphasize that payment “Impuesto de No Residentes” depends entirely on whether ...
13 August 2020 | Документация
Design and construction in Spain. Spanish architectural project
Building a new home or major renovation of an existing one requires the participation of design professionals and an experienced construction team.  In Spain, as well as in Russia, an architectural design and coordination with the urban planning depa...
12 March 2024 | Документация
Construction license in Spain
A construction license is a permitting document that is required to carry out construction work in Spain. It confirms that the licensee has the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to carry out construction work and comply with all safety requi...
11 April 2024 | Документация